ARCEx has an open PhD position in Geophysics (Passive and Active electromagnetics in the Barents Sea) at the University of Oslo.
- Organisation: Department of Geosciences, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Oslo
- Location: Oslo, Norway
- Duration: 3 years fixed term position
- Application deadline: 17 April 2019
- Contact information: Professor Leiv-J. Gelius, e-mail: email@example.com
- Full announcement:
The work of the PhD candidate will be part of a strategic and cross-disciplinary initiative organized and funded by ARCEx (The Research Centre for Arctic Petroleum Exploration) with emphasize on an integrated effort to understand shallow reservoirs.
The main activity of the PhD candidate will be to investigate the fully potential of EM in the Barents Sea with special emphasize on the following topics:
- Mapping of regional geology using marine MT data extracted from CSEM surveys.
- Improved understanding of the electric Earth model.
- Cross-disciplinary case study from an area with a strong false EM anomaly.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Geophysics, Physics or Applied/industrial mathematics.
- Programming experience and experience working with geophysical data.
- Familiarity with the CSEM technique.
- Familiarity with the analysis of MT data.
- Familiarity with Machine Learning.
- Successful publication of past research.
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English